What is a J2 Visa?

Do you want to do an internship or training in the USA and take your spouse or children with you? If so, you need to apply for a J2 visa on behalf of your family. The J2 visa is a dependent visa. It enables family members to also live in the USA, as long as you, the J1 visa holder, remain in official valid status.

J2 Visa – Eligibility and Requirements

In order to be eligible to apply for a J2, the J1 partner must be married to the J2 partner. Accompanying children must be under the age of 21 and unmarried. (Please note, if they turn 21 while in the US, they need to return home or apply for a new (different- F1, M1, J1) visa as their J2 visa will expire when they turn 21.)

For each family member, the J1 visa holder must provide proof of funds of $1500 per month for the entire duration of the program. If the J1 intern or trainee is already on program and receives a monthly income amounting to the required monthly sum, three J1 pay stubs would suffice as proof. Alternatively, we would accept bank statements or a letter of guarantee from immediate family members.

On a J2 visa, children are entitled to visit the local high school. A child or spouse may also enroll to study full-time or part-time without the need to apply for a F1 visa. A spouse can apply for a work permit (I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization) for up to one year. The prospect of earning a salary does not waive the need of financial proof of $1500 per month prior to program start. Also, the application for the I-765 might take several months to process.

Apply Now for Your J1 Visa

You would like to apply right now for our J1 Visa Service? If you are a student or young professional who has found an internship or training opportunity at a U.S. company, we welcome you to apply with us for a J1 visa.

J2 Program Duration and Travels

The J2 visa holder may not arrive prior to the J1 intern or trainee. Also, the J2 visa holder may not stay longer in the USA than the J1 visa holder.

While on program, J2 visa holders may travel within the USA as well a leave and enter the USA. There is no obligation to be accompanied by the J1 intern or trainee for such travels. However, before the J2 visa holders first international trip, he or she needs to send the DS-2019 to Intrax in San Francisco. As a J1 and J2 visa sponsor, Intrax will stamp and sign a travel validation on the form.

J2 Visa Application

In the course of your J1 online registration in the MyIntrax portal, you can register your J2 family members. You may also register them at a later point.

Apart from the insurance and financial proof, we also need:

  • A copy of the marriage certificate including an official English translation

  • A copy of each child’s birth certificate

  • Passport copies for each family member (page with biographical data)

DS-2019 for each family member

Intrax issues a DS-2019 form for each family member. Each J2 applicant must apply for the J2 visa at a U.S. Consulate. You each need to fill in the DS-160 form but you can make one embassy interview appointment for the entire family.

Apply Now for Your J1 Visa

Finished with reading? Ready to apply? We welcome you to apply with us for a J1 visa.