Work and Travel USA

The United States is the number one destination for many young people seeking to go abroad. Its cultural diversity, fascinating history and diverse countryside make the country a perfect destination if you want to improve your English skills and take advantage of its vast array of travel opportunities. With Intrax as your agency, you have an experienced and strong partner by your side that supports you from start to finish. We make sure that you can make the most of your work and travel adventure in the USA by helping you to find the right job and providing all the legal paperwork you need to obtain your visa. We look forward to supporting you with any questions or problems along the way. Find the right program for you now and start living your dream in the land of opportunity!

Our goal is to help you find the right program that suits you best. Whether you enjoy working with children or prefer to work in other fields, we can assist you in finding the right job placement for you.

Summer Job in the USA

Our summer job program in the USA is targeted toward university students who wish to work and travel during their semester break. You have plenty of options to choose: Take a job as a resort worker in a U.S. national park, as a lifeguard, a waiter in a café, a hotel receptionist, in a shop, or in an amusement park ticket booth. You would like to improve your language skills, get to know an American work environment and are open-minded and flexible? Then this is the right program for you! Intrax cooperates with host companies all across the United States. We provide you with detailed job descriptions and interview offers and help you find the right summer job for you!

Quick Facts at a Glance

  • Program Fee: 1.200 € 

  • 3 - 4 months during your semester break

  • Minimum of 32 hours of work per week

  • Option to travel for one full month after the program

  • Sufficient pay to cover your main costs (state minimum wage)

  • As an official J1 Work Travel Visa Sponsor, Intrax takes care of the legal formalities for you to participate in the Work & Travel program.

  • Job placements in tourist areas across the USA


In order to take part in the summer job program you have to meet certain prerequisites. As this is a program specifically tailored toward students, you have to be enrolled in a university and should not be in your final year of studies. You must also fulfill the following requirements:


  • You are between the age of 18 - 28

  • You are a student in an EU country

  • You speak an intermediate level of English

  • Your employment must take place during your semester break from university

  • You are a full-time student having completed at least one semester

  • You have sufficient financial resources of at least $1,000 for the first month

Did you Know?

You can repeat your work and travel program up to three times! The J-1 visa application is independent of any former participation in other J-1 programs, such as High School exchange, Au pair or Camp Counselor in the USA.

Services and Benefits

In choosing Intrax as your partner for your work and travel program, you gain an experienced and long-standing partner in the business that will be at your side for every step of the way. The Work & Travel USA program is coordinated from our American headquarters in San Francisco. Intrax USA has almost 20 years of experience with this program and has been successfully organizing summer jobs for students since 2001.

Our program costs are 100% transparent. There are no hidden fees or costs you need to worry about. We promise you a guaranteed summer job or a full refund of your program fees.

Preparation and Support
  • Up to 4 job interview opportunities if matches did not work out - depending on skills and availability

  • Full refund of application fee if host companies did not make job offer

  • Support in finding housing for the program duration

  • Program consultation and pre-departure information

  • 24-hour emergency phone number in the USA

  • Medical insurance according to J1 visa regulations

  • DS-2019 form for applying for the J1 visa

  • $35 SEVIS fee included

  • Preparation for the visa application, including guidelines

  • Necessary travel documents

  • Online handbook

  • Certificate upon successful completion of the Work & Travel USA program

Not included
  • Visa fees (approx. $160)

  • Flights 

  • Evidence of personal funds for the visa (at least $1.000)

  • Living costs (amount will depend on the job)

Start your Summer Job

Spend your semester break in the USA and gain experience abroad!

Step by Step to your Summer Job

woman applying online
Fill out your Online Application

Register online through the MyIntraxPortal. Please submit your application only if it is complete.

stack of paper
Hand in your Application Documents

Please send your documents to Please check the quality/legibility of your documents beforehand. You will find a checklist of all required documents in the MyIntraxPortal.

skype interview online
Your Webcam Interview

Once we have received your application, we will invite you to an interview via video in order to ensure your program and visa eligibility. Afterwards you will receive an invoice for the application fee of 300 €.

two women looking at file
Find your Job

Intrax will match your profile with U.S. host companies according to program dates and qualifications (i.e. certified lifeguard). Please be open to all regions in the USA. We offer you up to 4 jobs offers if needed.

woman signing contract
Sign your Contracts

Once you have found a summer job, you will sign the contract with Intrax, pay the remaining program fees and also sign your job contract with your host company in the USA.

visa for the usa
Apply for your Visa

We will send you the DS-2019 form to apply for the J1 visa. A personal interview at the U.S. Embassy is also required as part of the visa application process.

airport departure table
Prepare for your Departure

After you have received your visa you can book your flights. We will also send you an invitation for an online pre-departure orientation which will help you prepare for your summer job. 

shadow of departing plane
Go abroad!

Once everything is ready to go, you can depart to the USA - we wish you a great time!

Program Dates

The program dates predefined by the U.S. Department of State differ and depend on the academic calendar of your country's university system. Check your country for more info on your next possible starting dates. 


Sweden: 1.5. – 30.8.2021

Finland: 13.5. – 13.9.2021

Estonia, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Slovakia: 15.5. – 15.9.2021

Switzerland: 1.6. – 31.8.2021

United Kingdom: 1.6. – 15.9.2021

France, Greece, Portugal: 1.6. – 30.9.2021

Norway: 15.6. – 20.9.2021

Spain: 15.6. – 30.9.2021

Belgium: 30.6. – 15.9.2021

Austria: 1.7. – 30.9.2021

Germany: 1.7. – 31.10.2021

Denmark: 4.7. – 31.8.2021



Camp Counselor at a Summer Camp

campcare worker

Going to summer camp has a long-standing tradition in the United States. Every year many kids and teenagers spend part of their summer vacation with peers from all over the country to enjoy weeks of adventure and fun activities away from school and their parents. As a camp counselor, you are a mentor for these kids and help your team of co-workers organize group activities, teach a new sport or hobby or plan fun outings in nature. There are different types of summer camps in which you can be placed, depending on your interests, skills and previous experiences.

CampCareUSA Quick Facts

  • 8 complete weeks between June and August

  • 1 additional week of orientation

  • insurance, room and board and pocket money all inclusive

  • 1 full month of optional travel time at the end of the program

  • as an offical J1 Camp Counselor Visa Sponsor, Intrax takes care of all legal formalities for you to participate in the CampCareUSA program

External content is supposed to be embedded here but you have not allowed its display. You can enable the display of external content in your privacy settings.

Did you Know?

Your visa allows you to stay in the United States for up to one month after the end of your CampCareUSA program. Use what you earned as a camp counselor, travel the country and explore all corners of the USA!

Types of Camps

There are various types of camps that cater to different campers. Depending on your profile and experience, we will do our best to find the best placement for you. Do you play in a band or coach a local sports team in your free time? Or do you have experience with caring for special needs children? Then you could be a great fit for some of our available camps!

boy playing basketball
Specialty Camps

Camps that have a special focus on certain sports or activities like soccer, swimming, climbing, music, art or horseback riding.

boy with heart
Special Needs Camps

Camps with a special focus on children and young teens with disabilities and special needs.

boys playing tug of war
Day Camps

Day camps only run during the day and kids will spend the night at home.

boy on paddle
Private/Non-Profit Camps

Run by private individuals or non-profit organizations.

girl with bible praying
Religious Camps

Camps with a special focus on a specific religion or philosophy.


To apply for our CampCareUSA Program you need to meet certain criteria. You need to:

  • be 18 years or older 

  •  be responsible and enjoy working with kids and teens

  • be proficient in the English language

  • have at least a high school diploma

Program Costs

  • Placement Program: 690 €
    Application fee of 200 € upon submission of documents and video-interview
    Remaining fee of 490 € is due after placement in a summer camp
  • Self Placement: 590 €
    Due upon submission of documents and video-interview
Program costs 690 €
Self-Placement 590 €

Ready to Be a Camp Counselor?

You fulfill the requirements and want to spend your summer in the USA? Then send us an email and we will discuss the next steps with you!