Application process and requirements

Am I eligible for the Work and Travel Summer Job program? Read more

You must be an enrolled student at a university/ college (post-secondary) and have already completed 1 semester when you start the Work Travel program. You need to be between 18 and 28 years of age. 


Can I participate in the Work and Travel Summer Job program if I am not a EU citizen? Read more

You may apply for this program with us if you don't have EU citizenship but permanent residence in the EU.


Do I have to apply in my native country for the Work and Travel Summer Job visa? Read more

No. During the registration with Intrax, your application and documents will be processed online through MyIntrax Portal and the follow-up will be done via email, phone and/or Skype.

After receiving your DS-2019 form at your preferred address, you can apply at any US embassy or consulate which issues J1 visas. If you are currently studying in another country, this is no problem. During your visa interview at the embassy, you should be able to clearly explain your plans immediately after the program and your long-term plans so that it is clear that you do not intend to stay in the USA after your program. (proof of sufficient home ties)

How do I apply? Read more

Please register under: “apply now” and we will send you information on the necessary documents needed from your side.

When should I apply for Work & Travel? Read more

You can start applying in October, both for job placements and the J1 visa service. Usually we sell jobs through February/March. If you secure a job on your own please note that the deadline for a self-placements is January 31.

Can I apply year-round in the Work and Travel summer job program? Read more

Yes, you can apply all year round, but you can only participate during the summer. The program is designed as a summer program only. Each country has specific dates in which students can work in the U.S. Usually students can work in the US for 3 or 4 months between May and October depending on country of residence. (The DOS determines the program dates by country 

I have just left school. Can I participate in the Work and Travel Summer Job program? Read more

No, unfortunately you cannot. J1 visa conditions stipulate that you must have completed at least 1 semester of further/higher education. However, we offer other interesting programs for recent high school graduates: You can work as a camp counselor in a summer camp in the USA, on a farm or ranch in Canada, New Zealand or Australia, in a hostel in Australia or use our starter package for a classic Work & Travel program in New Zealand or Australia.


How much do I pay and when should I pay the fees? Read more

J1 Visa Service for self-arranged summer jobs: If you have found a job yourself, the program fee is due after we have received your application and screened your eligibility via Webcam interview.

Job Placement Program: You would pay in two installments: The application fee is due after we have received your application and screened your eligibility via a webcam interview. The remaining program fee is due once you and your host company have confirmed the placement.

You can see all the costs on our website. Since you will at least earn minimum wage, you should be able to not only cover your living expenses in the USA but also a portion of the program fee and other initial costs such as your flight ticket.


What do the fees include? Read more

A fantastic summer in the USA, where you make new friends, gain international work experience abroad, improve your English, and some time to travel afterwards.

  • DS-2019 form for applying for the J1 Work Travel visa
  • $35 SEVIS fee included
  • Insurance with benefits according to J1 visa regulations
  • Preparation for visa application, including guidelines
  • Online handbook and other travel documents for the program
  • Program consultation and pre-departure information
  • 24-hour emergency phone number in the USA
  • Certificate upon successful completion of the Work & Travel USA program

Additional services for the placement service: 

  • Summer job placement in the USA
  • Up to 4 interview opportunities if matches did not work out - depending on skills and availability
  • Refund of application fee if Intrax has not been able to offer a job interview or find a placement 
  • Support finding housing if company does not already provide staff housing on site.
Is an insurance included in the Work and Travel Summer Job program fees? Read more

Your program fees with Intrax include travel medical insurance which meets the department of state requirements for the J1 visa program. Insurance coverage begins on arrival and covers you until the last day of your program. This policy includes a co-pay of $100 for each medical occurrence. The co-pay for a visit to the Emergency Room is $250. Your policy coverage also includes the TELADOC service allowing you to call and receive a medical consultation over the phone. This service is not subject to the deductible.

You'll find the details of your Insurance coverage in the USA in the brochure.

You may also purchase additional insurance if you plan to stay in the USA for the 30-day grace period after your program. Please note that our insurance does not cover any pre-existing conditions. If you have such conditions, you should strongly consider taking out additional insurance for the duration of your stay in the USA.

You can learn more about the US insurance system and what to be aware of BEFORE seeking medical help in the US in these short videos: IMG:


What kind of summer jobs are available? Read more

Depending on your qualification, your level of English and employers’ needs there are jobs available such as: waiter, ride operator, kitchen staff, host, cashier, grill cook, breakfast attendant, resort worker, housekeeper, maintenance worker, etc.

Can I choose where I want to get placed? Read more

You will need to be flexible if you want to be placed by Intrax. Jobs will be given based on demand, your skills and experiences. We will send detailed job descriptions and you will then be able to decide whether you want to participate in their virtual hiring fair (webcam job interview) for a specific job. Of course you may decline the opportunity, but we might not have a job available in the place and position you prefer. You should think about the program enabling you to gain an understanding of American life and business methods and to discover the USA. Being as open and flexible as possible will bring you a long way. We hope that you will end up loving the place where your company is located.

If you are determined to take a summer job in a specific city/national park, we recommend that you find a position yourself and only apply for our J1 visa service.

Can I get placed together with my friend? Read more

You should not expect that Intrax can place you together with your friend. The host company takes the final decision on who they want to hire. You can apply together, but it is possible that you are not chosen to work in the same spot. If you are determined to find a position together with your friend in the same company, we recommend that you find a position yourself and only apply for our J1 visa service

How much money will I earn? Read more

This will depend on how high the minimum wage is in the state where you will go. Your hourly wage needs to respect the state minimum wage. If you have a job where you earn tip, this will not be included in your salary, but please note that the minimum wage for a job with tip is lower.

How many hours will I work during my summer job? Read more

You will need to be able to work 32 hours per week on average over the course of your program. Some weeks you may work more and some less. During busy times of the season, employees can expect to work 40-50 hours per week. Also your work schedule might depend on company needs. i.e. Hotels might need to cover early morning or late evenings shifts. Your work schedule might vary.


Documents and embassy interview

How long does my passport have to be valid after the end of my Work and Travel program in the USA? Read more

For members of the so-called "Six-Month-Club", the passport only needs to be valid until departure from the USA. Other citizens need a passport valid at least 6 months after the end of the program in the USA.

What documents are required for the Work and Travel Visa interview at the embassy or consulate? Read more

When your DS-2019 form is issued and shipped, you will receive detailed instructions on how to schedule an interview and a checklist summarizing the required documents for your appointment:

  • Your passport;
  • DS-2019 form (2 sheets);
  • Confirmation page of your appointment (a document including two barcodes);
  • Confirmation page of your DS-160 form (to be received upon booking your appointment);
  • SEVIS Fee payment confirmation/ (paid by Intrax);
  • One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photograph taken within the last 6 months. This web page has information about the required photo format.
  • Financial Certification (any documents showing that you have enough readily-available funds to cover all expenses while you remain in the United States)
  • Evidence of home ties such as rental agreement, a university letter, a job contract etc.
What is the DS-160 confirmation page and what do I need it for? Read more

The DS-160 is an online form that each visa applicant must complete to book the appointment at the U.S. Consulate. After completing the questionnaire, you will receive a confirmation page which should be printed out. You have to take this confirmation to the embassy appointment along with the other required documentation.


What is the SEVIS fee? Read more

First, SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. This is an online database of the U.S. Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security. It serves for the tracking & monitoring of all exchange visitors, e.g. regarding the current location and the program data. The fee for interns and trainees is $ 35 per person. It is included with Intrax in the program costs. Intrax will register you in the database as soon as your DS-2019 is issued.


What do I need to consider during the interview at the American consulate? Read more

Please take only the necessary documents (in a transparent plastic cover) with you. For safety reasons, electronic devices (including mobile phones, smart watches, etc.), backpacks, suitcases and larger bags may not be carried into the consulate. These items cannot be stored in the embassy so you must make alternative storage arrangements. Be punctual but do not show up too early.The interview itself will probably take just a few minutes. Answer all their questions honestly.


When will I receive my visa after the interview? Read more

Depending on embassies and their processing time, the passport containing the J-1 Visa is usually mailed back to you 3 to 5 days after your interview and visa approval at the US embassy.

Do I have to apply for an ESTA in order to enter the USA? Read more

No. ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) applies only to travelers without a visa. As an Work and Travel program participant in the U.S. you have a J1 Work andTravel visa for entry.

Pre-departure and arrival information

When should I book my flight to the USA? Read more

It is recommended that you book your flight once you have received your visa. The flight booking is your responsibility.


What do I have to do before I leave for the USA? Read more

Before you leave, prepare the following:

  • Make copies of all documents, including the passport.
  • You should know your first address in the U.S. as you must specify this on entry. If your first address is a hotel or hostel, print a copy of your booking confirmation in case an agent at the border asks for a proof.
  • Clarify in advance with your bank the fees and conditions for withdrawing money abroad. Perhaps your bank has a partner bank in the US? It is good to know in advance which bank can offer you the best condition as a temporary visitor in the U.S. Think about a bank which will not make it too hard for you to close your account at the end of your stay.
  • Inform yourself about the process of your insurance in case of illness and accident. Read and understand your medical coverage. Remember that the Intrax insurance only covers you in the U.S. and until the end of your program. You should plan further coverage if you travel outside the U.S. during your program or if you plan to make use of your grace period.
  • If you are taking regular medications, please take an English-language note from your doctor and the medication in the original packaging. Find out how you can get these drugs in the U.S.
  • Be informed and plan how you will get from the airport to your lodging place.
  • Ask if your phone/smartphone is contract-bound, whether you can extend the contract, or use a new SIM card if necessary. The J1Sim Phone operator is specialized in limited-time international contracts: You can order a SIM card free of charge on this website. When you arrive in the USA or just before boarding the plane, you can activate this SIM card by choosing the desired package on this page.
What documents do I need upon my arrival? Read more

For entering the USA, you need your passport and the original DS-2019 form/Certificate of eligibility. You should also know your first address and specify it on arrival if requested. We recommend that if you are staying in a hotel or hostel at first, to keep a copy of your booking confirmation.

You will also either receive a form of customs on the aircraft or upon arrival at the airport register digitally at the customs where a digital photo of you is taken and the fingerprints of both hands are scanned. Afterwards, an official will ask you about the reason for your stay. 

Will I need to apply for a social security number? Read more

Yes, you will need to apply for Social Security but you can only do so once you have arrived in the U.S. Your employer can only pay you if you have applied for your Social Security Card.

What is the Grace Period ? Read more

After completing any program with the J1 visa, you have the opportunity to stay for up to 30 days in the USA. During this time you may only travel within the USA, so you should not travel to Canada or Mexico and then re-enter. You may also travel to the USA up to 30 days before the start of the program if you receive the visa on time. During Grace Period, you may not be active in your host company. The insurance you get with intrax does not cover you for the grace period, it is then your responsibility to contact our US office to extend your insurance to cover you for the grace period.

My Work and Travel J1 Visa

Can I get more than one job? Read more

Yes, Intrax can place you in one specific job, but you can look for a second job once you are in the U.S. if you wish. The second job must not interfere with the first job and needs approval from Intrax Headquarters in the US.


What happens if I lose my summer job position? Read more

Unfortunately yes, if your employer is not satisfied with your work he or she may decide to terminate your job. Intrax would try to place you in another job (depending on if you have been placed by Intrax for your first job and on how much time is left for the program), but this is not a guarantee. If no other job can be found for you, you may have to leave the U.S. immediately due to your visa regulations, but this rarely happens!

Can I extend my visa if I want to stay longer in the USA? Read more

No, you can not extend your stay. But you have a grace period in which you can travel within the US of 30 days starting on your last job day.

Can I apply for the J1 Work and Travel visa more than once? Read more

Yes, you can apply up to three times for the Work Travel J-1 visa. If you are unsure of your visa eligibility, you can of course contact us via email at attaching your CV to your email.

Are you ready?

Find out even more about the program, check out the requirements and costs and learn about the benefits of choosing Intrax as your partner.